Saturday, March 17, 2007

Mozilla Thunderbird: check all IMap folders

I use Mozilla Thunderbird to access my corporate email when I'm outside our firewall, through a secure IMap gateway, and inside the firewall when I'm working on my Linux systems. It's a very nice email app. The one thing that always catches me out is that, by default, Thunderbird will only check subscribed IMap folders for new mail. I have a bunch of rules that run on the Exchange server that sort my mail into folders, so checking the folders for new messages is important to me. Every time I re-install Thunderbird, I have to re-remember how to change the default behaviour, so I'm writing it down here for future reference!

First, get the advanced config window up from the Tools | Options... menu (Windows) or Edit | Preferences... (Linux). On the Advanced options tab, click the Advanced Configuration button to bring up the about:config window. Put folder into the filter box:

Double click the mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new to set it to true. Done.

This works on Thunderbird 1.5.x. I don't know what will change when 2.0 comes out.

del.icio.us: thunderbird, imap, configuration.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, that was usefull!
Sad though, that there is no user interface for such an obvious function...

Anonymous said...

Very useful note. Thanks

Laura Moncur said...

Thank you for this. It was very helpful and EXACTLY what I needed.

I guess I'm just going to have to get used to getting into the Config Editor with Mozilla programs.