Sunday, May 30, 2010

Skype and Ubuntu: lost notification sounds - solution

I use Skype for Linux very successfully on my 64bit Ubuntu 10.04 distribution – it's a great way to call in to the daily scrum at work, for example. Recently update-manager upgraded my Skype to version 2.1.0.81, at which point I stopped hearing notification sounds (e.g. the incoming-call notification, which is pretty handy!). I still got on-screen popup notifications where enabled, and I could still make calls and hear callers, but no notification sounds.

The solution was to go to the gnome-volume-control, and massively increase the slider for Alert volume slider. It had been at about 20%, it's now set at about 95%. However, I can once again hear skype notifications – at pretty much the same volume as before. So I don't know what's changed between gnome-volume-control and Skype: there may have been an update to the volume control that I didn't notice go by, or maybe this version of Skype is more sensitive to that setting. Still, at least that's one more annoyance is off the list.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

works good.

Regards,
Techs Palace
http://techspalace.blogspot.com
(Not Only Ubuntu Blog)

Malcolm Worthy said...

Thanks - works for me too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Ian! I've been searching for the solution of that problem for a while! You're a savior :)

Anonymous said...

my solution :) thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! helped me a lot!

Anonymous said...

thank you. It was very helpful!

peter ewald said...

Thanks much, this is definitely a great hint!
I guess the skype guys started using the "right" volume slider with that version - only nobody used it before...
For the ones who may also need 5 mins to find out that gnome-volume-adjuster is exactly the app connected to the speaker symbol in the task bar: the level adjustment is on the first tab of this application.

paul said...

Thanx alot! I was also struggling with it, now it has been solved!

paul said...

Thanx alot!!!!!!!
I almost gave up on this subject!
It's really annoying when you don't hear incoming calls!

Anonymous said...

The only strange thing is, that not all notification are handled the same way. You can still hear "Outgoing Call Ringing" even if the alert sound slider is set to somewhere near 0%.
If you keep the Applications tab within the gnome volume preferences opened while testing different notification-types in Skype, you'll see that some will produce their own event (and thus their own temporary volume slider), while others do not. The ones who do not produce their own slider seem to be handled by the alert slider...

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I googled it for few days till I found your post. Brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Easy to follow and super helpful. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!!!!

Anonymous said...

In Ubuntu 12.04

The seem to be controlled by the "Alert Volume" in the "Sound Effects" tab of this same settings dialog. Enable "Alert Volume". Then they will be play with Skype notifications.

This is what I figured out for turning off the alert sounds in 12.04:

Open dconf-editor. Browse to
org/gnome/desktop/sound
On the right, unclick event-sounds.

Good lack!

Anonymous said...

I've got that problem switching from ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04. I guess because Skype was upgraded too.
Your solution worked perfectly !
Great, thanks :-)